Friday, February 29, 2008

Vitamin C-ya

Toxicity and symptoms of high intake:

Since ascorbic acid(vitamin C) is a water-soluble vitamin, toxic levels are not built up or stored in the body, and any excess is lost mostly through urine. If extremely large amounts are taken gastrointestinal problems may appear, but will normalize when the intake is cut or reduced. To determine a level where a person might experience discomfort is difficult, since some people can easily stomach up to 25,000 mg per day, while others start having a problem at 600 or 1,000 mg.
Some people using mega dose therapy of vitamin C may have side effects such as gastrointestinal complaints including diarrhea, nausea and abdominal cramps. These side effects normally stop as soon as high potency intake is reduced or stopped.


Remember the Doctor that told me to take 1,000mg of vitamin C a day? The one that wouldn’t give me any drugs because they caused diarrhea?

Yeah, THANKS A LOT DOC. Apparently I am in the percentage that doesn’t do well with excessive amounts of Vitamin C. And here I was upping the dose by eating an orange every morning as well!!!

Fracking idiot.

And this is what my mother said when I told her why I thought I wasn’t feeling well:

“Oh DH I'm so sorry I didn't realize you were taking vitamin C. That will give you the runs for sure. I remember that woman who worked at the club telling me that was one of the purposes of vitamin c - to clear your system so you'd get over the cold, flu, whatever.”

Confirmed by mom, who is not a medical professional, AT ALL.
I don't mean to over share here people. I don't feel that bathroom habits/occurrences are to be discussed with the public at large. However, in this case, I consider this a PSA (public services announcement).
And I didn't take ANY Vitamin C today. Not even the 200mg that was in my Daily Multi-Vitamin.
Yes, I checked the label to see how much was in there.
No, I didn't take any.
Yes, it was THAT bad of an experience.



No comments: