Tuesday, March 10, 2009

DNA, Hair sample and Finger Print Needed

I haven’t changed my name yet to reflect the fact that I am married. Well, that’s not completely true. I have changed it in a few places. My work e-mail. My FB account. My work Voicemail. One credit card. And checks from “our” Credit Union. I waited to change it because you must have an official copy of your marriage license and I knew that I couldn’t get a new Passport and driver’s license before we left for the Honeymoon, especially since I had to book the flight as ‘old me’ to match up to my credit card. Anyway, to say the least, I’ve been putting it off. And it has affected the whole “OMG!! I’m MARRIED!!!” feeling because it’s not right up there in my face every time I sign my name because as it stands now, I’m still signing as ‘old me’. So I finally decide to up and get it changed ASAP and started doing the research to make sure when I showed up at the gov’t offices I had all the paperwork I would need upfront. I was going to change my driver’s license first. It seemed simple enough, their website said all I would need was my certified marriage license. They even had hours on Saturday! Excellent! So I got up early on Saturday, showered, did my hair and make-up and made my way to the office. They opened at 9am, I arrived at 9:06am and there were already 60 people in front of me. HOLY CRAP! I waited my turn and smiled at the line lady, “Hi! I’m here to change my name!”
“Did you go to the Social Security Office first?”
“You have to go there first.”
“I do????”
“Yes. And then bring this back (hands me a form) when you come back here.”
“Um, ok.” I walk away defeated.
By the time I make it back home I am fuming! I stomp down to the basement to check the website again and there it is:

How to Change Your Name on a Driver's License or Personal ID Card
If you need to change your name on your driver's license or personal ID card you must go to a [redacted] to process the correction. Present your valid driver's license or personal ID card and proof of the name change. Proof of your name change must be established, such as a certified marriage license, divorce decree, or a legal name change document. A fee will be charged to correct your name and a new photograph will be taken.

See? Right there! The VERY FIRST thing!!! No mention of having to go to the Social Security Office first!!! I was PISSED. So I filled out their little “Tell Us How We’re Doing” section. While F is standing over my shoulder, “Don’t fill it out in anger. Calm down and tell them what happened. What do you want to say?”
“That they are a bunch of fucking idiots who need to make their website better!”

It ruined my entire weekend. I was ready to be “Official” and a stupid website prevented me from doing it! Here I had done my due diligence ahead of time and it totally back fired! Now I have to take an entire day off of work in order to do this. Social Security office, Driver’s license office, bank, bank( I have to go to the bank that owns my credit card in order to change my name) and who knows what else. Probably all the stores where I have credit cards too! GRRRRRRRR.
Boys have it so easy! They don’t have to plan the wedding OR change who they are!

NOT FAIR! *foot stamp*


madnessexplained said...

I have to say, boys don't neccesarily have it so easy.. You, for whatever reason, decided that you would take his name, and he wouldn't take yours! You could have done it the other way around, or you could both have taken each others' names. But having that said, you have my sympathy.. My boyfriend is trying to immigrate at the moment, you can imagine the office hopping that entails!

DevilsHeaven said...

OH! I feel for him. That has got to be an insane amount of paperwork!