Saturday, January 23, 2010

I'm a TV Watcher

I am an avid TV watcher. I love a good show. Ones that make me cry (Grey's), laugh (Ugly Betty), scream at the TV (god bless you 24, F thinks I'm crazy), think (Lost), chuckle at juvenile behavior(Super Natural) and a whole gambit of other reactions/emotions. It always distresses me when I find a good show, and they cancel it. DEAD STOP. No great wrap up ending. NADA. Drives me nuts!!! I hate opening my TV Guide (which HATE the new format from the get, H.A.T.E.) and it tells me a whole set of new shows are being canceled.


Recently? Doll House. When I watched the pilot, which F actually watched with me, we were both, "Eh, kinda not so good." But we hung in there and it got better, and BETTER. The basis of the show echoes one of the ideas behind The Matrix. i.e. being able to program the brain like a computer. Downloading not only knowledge, but also the personality to go along with it. There are so many levels to this show that have yet to be explored. Moral. Physical. Mental. Legal. But it wasn't doing well enough in the ratings and they canned it.

Pushing Daisies? CANNED. Such a good show. It was nutty, and fresh and just GOOD. I was so upset that it was canceled I missed the final episodes. I have no idea how it ended.

Another one that was ended without an ending, Veronica Mars. They literally left us with a cliffhanger. That is no way to end a series!!!

I always find out about the fan rallies to save a show AFTER the show has been saved. Like Medium. CBS was SMART and picked it up. I wish I knew where to find out about these rallies, because there are so many shows I would have loved to help try and save.

Anyone remember Dark Angel?? Another one ended without a TRUE ending.

I see a pattern here, apparently I'm quite the James Cameron groupie.

I realize all shows survive on ratings. And in this day and age of TiVo and DVRs, I think it is highly irresponsible of the TV industry to still rely so heavily on "LIVE TV" ratings. If you don't watch it when it airs, it doesn't get counted. STUPID. Can I just tell you? I have 7 episodes of Grey's Anatomy on my DVR. I just can't get all my TV watching in when it actually airs. Change your ways TV industry!!!!

Anyway, I am frustrated by it all.

Like a good book, you don't want your shows to end.

No comments: