Thursday, December 03, 2009

Not as much of a Hardass as I thought

I just mailed the Tenant a late payment notice, and I'm scared. All of last year we let him slide, he was constantly late. This time around, we told him he had better be on time or we would start assessing the late fees that are outlined in the lease agreement. So far, he's been good. Except for the fact he seems to think we are at his beck and call to come collect said payment. It is clearly stated in the lease agreement that he is to MAIL us the payment. So now, I'm a little freaked. He could destroy the house. He could claim he never got the notice. He could claim that he is withholding payment because the dryer "keeps" breaking. However, I believe on that last one he has to notify us of his intentions via a written letter. We have not received any such notice. And we DID fix the dryer. Well, F fixed the dryer, replaced the motor. But apparently the dyer belt keeps slipping off. We got one call about it, several months ago, but haven't heard anything since.


I am not cut out to be a landlord. Or, maybe it would be easier if I was an unseen landlord? Maybe if he didn't know my first name? I don't know something that would make me more Official. Maybe if I insisted he call me, instead of F. Whom he started calling after we got married. Of course, I don't want to deal with him, so it's probably better that he calls F, who also doesn't want to deal with him.


What makes your landlord seem “Official” my digital friends?? Any tips you can give me??

IF we do this again after his lease is up, things WILL be different. I WILL be a hard ass.

 I promise.

No comments: