Friday, July 10, 2009

East Coast vs Midwest

F grew up on the East Coast, while I am a life long Midwesterner, and therefore we say some things differently. The most common is Soda vs Pop, although I have turned him to the pop side for the most part.
This regional speech pattern tripped me up the other night when F called me on my way home.

F: “You almost home?”
Me: “Nope, I just left work. Why?”
F: “Can you pick up a PIE???”

I paused as my mind started to race trying to figure out why in the world F would want me to pick up a PIE?
Then it dawned on me, that by PIE he meant a PIZZA pie.
I choked back my question of, “What? Like a cherry pie???” and answered instead:

“Sure! Deep dish or regular??”

I giggled to myself the rest of the way home, knowing full well that if I had asked him if he wanted a cherry pie I would NEVER have lived it down and he most certainly would have posted it on FaceBook for the whole world to see.
So instead, I’m telling you, my digital friends, because I can’t hear you laugh at me after you read this.
Seriously though, it would have been a legitimate question!!!!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Dude, I totally wouldn't have figured that out. Good catch!

When I lived in Delaware for a year, someone once asked me to hand them the pen out of the "draw". I had to ask her 3 times what she was talking about, until she pointed at a drawer. It wasn't even a different word for the same thing. She just left off the last R. Those crazy east-coasters.